The Epic Burndown Chart is a graphical representation of remaining unfinished work in that Epic. In an Epic, the Burndown Chart is located in the Reports tab.
The Burndown Chart is displayed in either Story Count or Points. Configure this setting in Settings > Estimate Scale.
The Burndown Chart displays the unfinished Story Count or Points in the Epic on a given day.
The start date of the Burndown Chart is the date on which you change the Epic state to a Started state.
If the Epic does not have a Due Date, the Burndown Chart displays an estimate of when all Stories or Points will be completed, based on the burn rate observed so far. In particular, consider the situation in the screenshot below.
- June 24 is the start date of the Burndown Chart.
- July 8 is the most recent date that some Stories/Points were completed.
- The date difference between June 24 and July 8 is 14 days.
- From June 24 to July 8, 2 Points were burned. So the burn rate is 2 / 14 = 0.14285714285 Points per day.
- So using this burn rate, apply it to the entire initial 4 Points. So we have 4 / 0.14285714285 = 28.0000000014 days, which rounded up is 29 days.
- June 24 + 29 days is July 23, which is the projected date when all Points will be burned (completed), as shown in the screenshot.
If the Epic has a Due Date, the Burndown Chart displays the ideal unfinished Story Count or Points on a given day.